Fun With Books and Music
The relationship between the parent and child is critical to the child’s development, with particular focus on the formation of the cognitive pre-literacy skills necessary for learning. This relationship encompasses the motivation of the parents for their child’s development and their feelings for the well-being of their child. These components provide the foundation for the Fun with Books and Music program, which emphasizes the joy of parent’s interaction with their children in achieving cognitive goals. Thus, both the parent’s literacy and the child’s pre-literacy skills are developed and enhanced through mutual interaction.
Part of the program’s mission is to also include bilingual and bicultural activities for Spanish-speaking families in the Trenton area (utilizing typical games from Latin America as well as bilingual/bicultural books and music from their native countries).
The objectives of the program are:
- to encourage and develop the skill and ability of the parent to read books to the child at home
- to foster nurturing interaction that includes both physical and emotional experiences
- to create a joyful atmosphere by using other modalities including music, dancing, arts and crafts, play and story telling
- to assist in the facilitation of other cognitive skills such as talking, selected use of television, and community activities
- to help parents reduce their stress levels
- to teach the whole family how to enhance their cognitive environment. Families with children between the ages of 0-6 years old can participate in this program