Center Based Program-Head Start/Early Head Start
The Children’s Home Society of New Jersey Head Start/Early Head Start Program provides care to 286 children from birth to age five in a center based program option. We also provide intensive support for expectant mothers as they prepare for the birth of their child.
Our Head Start/Early Head Start program promotes School Readiness for children in low-income families by providing comprehensive educational, health, nutritional, and social services. Parents play a large role in the programs both as primary educators and as participants in administering the program locally. Our program is delivered in partnership with the Trenton Public Schools Department of Early Childhood. The Trenton Board of Education provides funding to enhance the experiences of 155 of our enrolled children and elevate our teachers’ credentials through NJ State certification.
Eligibility for Head Start Program:
- Families with children ages 3 through 5 years that meet Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines (100% of poverty level)
- Reside in City of Trenton
- Children with Disabilities/Special Needs, inclusion placement option for children with disabilities with IEP or IFSP
Learning Experiences Provided
Our program will provide pre-literacy and literacy experiences in a multi-cultural environment. An interdisciplinary team of family members, teachers, specialist and advocates work together to ensure children receive the care and education needed for future success. Child outcomes are tracked in the following areas:
- Language Development
- Literacy Skills
- Mathematics Knowledge & Awareness
- Science Knowledge & Awareness
- Creative Arts Expression
- Social & Emotional Development
- Positive Approaches to Learning
- Physical Health & Development
In order to apply for the Head Start program, please click here.
[tabs style=”framed” nav=”tabs_above” height=”false” tab_1=”More Info” tab_2=”Calendar/Events” tab_3=”Brochures” tab_4=”News/Press Releases” tab_5=”Annual Reports” tab_6=”Contact”]
[toggle title=”Who do we serve?”]
Early Head Start Home Based Program serves:
- Children birth to age 3 years old
- Expectant Mothers
- Foster Children
- Homeless Families
- Children with Disabilities
You Must Reside in Trenton!
[toggle title=”Our Curriculum”]
Our Evidence Based curriculum identifies goals in all areas of development:
- Social – To help children feel comfortable learning in their own home environment and how to make friends, and be a part of a social group.
- Emotional – To help parents and newborns form healthy attachments. To help children experience pride and self- confidence, develop independence and self-control, and have a positive attitude toward life.
- Cognitive – To help children become confident learners by letting them try out their own ideas and experience success, and by helping them acquire learning skills such as the ability to solve problems, ask questions, and use words to describe their ideas, observations, and feelings.
- Physical – To help children increase their large and small muscle skills and feel confident about what their bodies can do with planned activities by Home Visitors or during socialization sessions.
[toggle title=”Community Resources”]
We provide comprehensive In Home Family Support to our families, while connecting them to essential community resources and providing:
- Health Education, medical and dental services
- Interactive family activities
- Behavioral health support
- Nutrition education
- Fatherhood support
- Monthly socialization activities
- Job Trainings and Career choices
- Transportation provided
[toggle title=”Who Can Refer?”]
- Self Referral
- Prenatal Clinics and Hospitals
- Community Providers
- Local county and State government
- School Personnel
- Homeless Shelters
- Other social service and child care agencies
*Applications are being accepted now for Fall 2014 – Head Start/Early Head Start is a FREE Program for low income children Birth – 5 years old and Expectant Mothers.