CHSofNJ has over 100 years of expertise in adoption and since 1894 we have placed thousands of children with adoptive families. We are committed to working with birthparents of all backgrounds to help them to make a plan for the care of their child, and when that plan is adoption we work diligently to place the child with a permanent and loving adoptive family. We welcome adoptive families of all races, religions, ancestries, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, and genders, as long as at their core is their ability to love, care for, and support a child. CHSofNJ will offer our support and professional assistance from the application process through your adoption finalization. We believe that adoption is a lifelong process, and our services are designed to support families for the long term.
We are currently not accepting applications for adoptive families. If you are interested in adoption please review the frequently asked questions and complete the on line request for more information. Our adoption services are available to residents of New Jersey, Bucks County PA, and the area of Montgomery County PA that borders eastern Bucks County.
Birth Parents & Pregnancy Services
Being pregnant may have you scared and confused. You are not alone. The Children’s Home Society of NJ will help you and support you. We offer pregnancy options counseling and placement options counseling, including parenting, placement with relatives and placement with an adoptive family.
Don’t be pressured into making a hasty decision. This may be the most serious decision you have to make in your life for yourself and your child. You do not have to make a decision while you are pregnant or while you are in the hospital. You have many options and we are here to help. To speak with one of our experienced professionals, call our Pregnancy Helpline at 1-800-247-6365.
Birth Parent and Pregnancy Services are free, private and confidential.
FREE PREGNANCY HELPLINE 1-800-CHSofNJ (1-800-247-6365) – OUR COUNSELORS ARE AVAILABLE 24/7
CALL NOW! We are here to help you.
- Adoption FAQ's
- Downloadable forms
- Adoption Services
- Waiting Families
- Request for Information
- Birth Parent FAQ's
• Home Study Only Services are provided for families who are working with birth parents, attorneys, or another Licensed Non-Profit Adoption Agencies for the placement of a child. These services are being provided in compliance with all State, Federal, and Adoption Licensing statutes and regulations.
• Identified Adoption Services are provided to families who have been identified by the child’s birth parent(s) as his or her potential adoptive parents.
• Adoption Home Studies in Cooperation with the Interstate Compact forthe Placement of Childrenare provided to families adopting privately from another state. CHS of NJ follows and fulfills the requirement of the sending and receiving States and all State, Federal, and Adoption Licensing statutes and regulations.
• Adoption Complaint Investigations are provided when CHS of NJ has been ordered by the Court to do so. An ACI is ordered when there has been a petition for adoption by a person/family who has received a child through a non-agency placement, such as a stepparent, grandparent or other relative, or non-related person/family. A report, including the recommendation for the approval of the adoption, is prepared and submitted to the Court regarding the findings of the investigation. An Adoption Home Study is also conducted when required by State Adoption laws and Adoption Licensing regulations.
• Adoption Post-Placement Supervision Services of the child in the adoptive home are provided, according to State, Federal, and Adoption Licensing statutes and regulations, when requested by the Court (Next Friend Supervision), by the Interstate Compact for the Placement of Children, or by another licensed non-profit Adoption Agency.
• Criminal History/Child Abuse Clearances Only are referred through New Jersey County Surrogate Offices for step-parent and relative adoptions. When this request is made, the required documents are sent to the family. After the results are received an affidavit is written and sent to the requesting Surrogate’s Office.
• Adoption Placement Services is the placement of a child from CHSofNJ’s Birth Parent Counseling Program or its Infant Foster Care Program with a waiting adoptive family. The fee for this placement is 15% of the adoptive family’s last reported gross annual income with floor of $10,800.00 and a ceiling of $32,500.00.
Please visit our adoptive family profiles page by clicking the link below..read about some of the wonderful adoptive families from CHSofNJ. Who knows you could be next!
Please complete the form below. You will receive a response from one of our Adoption Specialists by the next business day.
For more information on Domestic Adoption Click Here
For more information about Birth Parent Counseling Click Here
- We can refer you to community resources for medical care and information on financial and day care services.
- We can help you learn how to take care of your child.
- We can provide you with supportive services.
- You can choose the adoptive parents for your child from our approved families, or you can ask us to choose an adoptive family, according to your wishes.
- You may be able to meet the adoptive family, if you choose to do so.
- You may be able to receive yearly progress letters and photographs from the adoptive family.
- You may be able to choose an adoptive family who you know.
- You can continue to receive counseling and supportive services, even after you make a decision.
- You can visit your child while he or she is in a baby care home.
- Your child's medical care will be provided free of charge.
- Your child will be provided with clothing and all of his or her needs free of charge.
- You will receive counseling and supportive services to help you make a permanent plan for your child and to help you with other problems you may be experiencing.